Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Words and Hers

How Sweet The Return

I leave because I then return
To hear a treasured little voice,
Echo through my warm home,
"Ma?"
And the strongest little arms I know come crushing,
"Ma."
And two hearts beat in time.

-mommy



Child of My Love, "lean hard,"
And let Me feel the pressure of thy care.
I know thy burden, child: I shaped it,
Poised it in Mine own hand, made no proportion
Of its weight to thine unaided strength;
For even as I laid it on I said-
I shall be near, and while she leans on Me,
This burden shall be Mine, not hers;
So I shall keep My child within the circling arms
Of Mine own love. Here lay it down, nor fear
To impose it on a shoulder which upholds
The government of the worlds. Yet closer come,
Thou are not near enough; I would embrace thy care,
So I might feel My child reposing on my breast.
Thou lovest me? I know it. Doubt not then,
But, loving Me, lean hard.

Charlotte Bickersteth Ward (1822-1896)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alaina,

It's Stacy from the MOFIA board (I actually left a couple months ago but am hoping you still remember me!). Could you email me at stacyswiderski@hotmail.com if you get this message? I have a couple questions for you. Thanks!

Stacy

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I miss you, wish you lived closer again so we could hang out during these snowy days.